Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday cards

Last week, when I was sick, a friend called in pizza and wings delivery for us. That was awesome all by itself, but she lives in HOUSTON and we live in KANSAS! How's that for friendship? A simple "thank you" just didn't seem like enough for that, so I made her a card.


I was really happy with how it turned out.

In addition, I had seen a stair-step card pattern a week or so ago (over at My Creative Exposure) that I wanted to try. I'd like to do Isaiah's birthday card (Star Wars, of course) and Easter cards for the grandkids in WA so I thought I'd better get started practicing. I have a friend who is going to have a baby girl in June, so I thought this was the perfect theme to practice with.





The images were cut with the Special Delivery cartridge at 2.25 inches, except for the baby, which is 2.5 inches, and the b-a-b-y letters, which were cut at 1 inch. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture but I also used a clear glitter gel pen to do some outlining on the items. I think it's cute. Not great, but definitely cute for a first attempt. Now, I have to figure out what size envelope this baby will take. The overall dimensions are approximately 6.25 x 4.5.

I look at lots of cards and card ideas and I think how beautiful they are - wishing I could create such beautiful objects. Part of the reason (I believe) that my cards are not as beautiful is the amount of supplies that I have on hand, and the amount of supplies others have on hand. It takes money to buy the papers, the embellishments, the Cricut cartridges, etc. - and then you have the talent factor as well. Put the two together, and you have the makings of some very fantastic cards that are more like pieces of art. I will get better with what I have to work with. I can see a gradual evolution of the cards that I've made in the past year. They are getting better and my supplies are still about the same.

I would like to invest in some really nice papers but not sure of brands and line and quality. It's nice to read what others are using as it helps direct me to things that I didn't know existed.

1 comment:

Bubbles said...

Both those cards turned out well, I haven't come across the step style before so love that idea... you never know it might appear on make my day one day :).

A lot of things I have friends have sent me which I really appreciate but you tend to find the paper you use most is the one where you only have one but the one you have a few of aren't always quite what you want. I have quite a few rubberstamps so I really hope to one day make my own paper... I hope I'll actually do that as now there is a craft store on my doorstep so its tempting to just buy some.